Monday, December 28, 2009

Person of the Year


It's not the best film of the year. It's not the most brilliantly made or the most expertly crafted. It's didn't grab the headlines and for some reason - maybe fear, maybe bigotry, maybe thinking entertainment would not rightfully ensue - people stayed away. But the character of the year, the girl of the year, is Precious, as embodied by Gabourey Sidibe. She doesn't just rise, she conquers. She repels stereotypes. She refuses to fall into categories such as frail or wounded, naive or simple. She fights back with both dignity and generous intelligence. She is compassionate although compassion has never held her hand. She refuses to let her pain stand in for character, or let viciousness and cruelty inform her. She is never petty. She stands up. She stands out. She's beautiful.
And when she looks in the mirror and sees the image she wishes were reflected there - a perfectly happy, perfectly beautiful white girl with long flowing blonde hair - I really wanted to cry. But I didn't. I just kind of held my breath at the truth of it. How many of us saw, and still long to see, beautiful flawless blondes staring back at us? I wonder - what do beautiful flawless blondes see when they gaze into the mirror? Do they see the perfection? Do they ever realize it's there? Who we should all be lucky enough to see is Gabourey Sidibe as Precious. My personal nominee as human being of the year. - Janet

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm dying to see it, cannot wait. But I disagree that it didn't grab the headlines... I saw both the star and the supporting cast members interviewed on at least three talk shows, not to mention the reviews in the NYT and several other sites... It is a brilliant story, based on a brilliant book and I agree, a story everyone should pay attention to. I hope it will get the recognition it deserves and second your nomination for Gaby. - Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna - I have just got to read the book! I didn't pay any attention to it at all when it came out. And you're right - I realize now that Oprah and many other talk shows did do special shows about it, and there were some very esteemed critics that showcased the movie. To be honest with you, that's the reason we saw it, because the NY Times loved it so much. She and Mo'Nique are the reasons to see it, in my opinion only. I wish someone else had directed it. But it's such an important story, as you said, as such an amazing job by Gaby. I really hope you like it! And I'm going to go order the book today....xo Janet

    ReplyDelete