Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Semper fidelis: The couples of Elliott Erwitt




I could go on and on and on and on. But somehow I think I won't. Suffice it to say, that in my marriage, all of those wonderful abstracts (safety, intimacy, respect) ebb and flow...but with a predictable tendency to return, and boy and when they do! We're not always even nice to each other...but that's us. We're still maturing, what can I say?

But the main reason, I am at a loss for words, is that Janet's last post featured one of my favorite images of all time, by one of my favorite photographers. And when pictures tell stories, it's often time to be quiet and just look. Elliott Erwitt faithfully (and I say that because of the constant heart with which he confronts the world through the lens) photographed a lot of couples in a lot of situations, and somehow always seemed to look at them with a hopeful, benevolent eye. They are not necessarily faithful to each other, but he was always faithful to them. I attach three of them here in what I consider a sort of Timeline of Love for further study. No further comment. —Charlotte


No comments:

Post a Comment